Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Happy Hour at Perrys - A Meeting with a Caipirinha

Perrys is most known for its drag queen brunch every Sunday, but it also has a pretty nice happy hour every day from 5:30-7:30. Over the summer I visited their rooftop and was amazed by their caipirinhas. I've never made it to Brazil for the real deal, but I've had a few in my day and this was so far the best I've found in DC. To me a caipirinha should have a bold flavor - something that really wakes up the palate. Perrys didn't disappoint. It was made with just the right amount of sugar giving a great balance to the sourness/bitterness of the freshly-squeezed lime juice and cachaça, but wasn't overly sweet. The cachaça, a spirit made from sugar cane, was not overpowering but was definitely the team leader. At a price of $5 during happy hour I was in heaven. They also make a caipirinha with guava juice. It added a pink hue to the color and sweetened it up a bit more but not too much. It was a nice variation against the traditional.

The rooftop is great in the summertime but can get a bit crowded. I've also enjoyed happy hour indoors at the bar and wasn't disappointed. It has an inviting, contemporary-style interior and the staff was friendly. The bar menu during happy hour has great discounted prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment